Portland Local News

 

Fire at Pal's Shanty

Fire at Pal's Shanty

Pal's Shanty, a Northeast Portland tavern, was damaged by fire early Friday morning. A second alarm was called because the bar is in the middle of a strip mall.

When firefighters arrived around 1:30 a.m., they could see smoke floating from a second-story window.

Here are other details provided by the Portland Fire Bureau, 3:46 a.m. Friday:

At 1:28 a.m., Portland Fire & Rescue crews were dispatched to a commercial fire at a restaurant called Pal's Shanty (4630 NE Sandy Blvd). Original reports from callers were that an explosion was heard and then sparks and smoke were seen coming out of a second story window. When fire crews arrived they found large amounts of smoke coming from the two-story building and were immediately concerned about the amount of "exposure" buildings, or buildings that are at risk of fire spread due to proximity to original fire building. This is a strip mall type business area. Once the threat of fire spread was recognized, a 2nd alarm was called adding additional engines and ladder trucks to the scene. At one point crews were ordered to evacuate the building due to increasingly hazardous conditions being reported from fire crews inside the building. Once the fire's location and spread was recognized, with the help of multiple ladder truck companies, engine crews were ordered back in to finish  the job of extinguishing the fire. Crews are still on-scene assisting fire investigators with removing burnt material and debris from the interior so that a cause can be determined.

Image courtesy of Rich Chatman, Portland Fire Bureau.

 

More Articles